The U.S. Supreme Court has agreed to hear several cases this term that will impact local governments. Cases to watch for include:
- Town of Greece v. Galloway – legislative prayer;
- Mount Holly Gardens Citizens in Action v. Township of Mount Holly – Fair Housing Act;
- McCullen v. Coakely – reproductive healthcare facility buffer zones;
- Marvin M. Brandt Revocable Trust v. United States – abandoned railroad corridors (“Rails-to-Trails”); and
- Sprint Communications Company v. Jacobs – telecom remedial proceedings.
The State and Local Legal Center, which files amicus briefs on behalf of certain national organizations representing state and local governments, has published an excellent article summarizing each of the cases, available here: http://statelocallc.squarespace.com/storage/Preview%202013%20LOCALS%20UPDATED%20PDF.pdf